Route: - Palolem -> Karwar -> Gokarna -> OM Beach -> Murudeshwara -> Honnavar -> Bhatkal
KMs Munched: - 211 Kms
Expenses:-
Brunch - 31 INR
Mech - 30 INR
Tea break - 30 INR
Key maker - 50 INR
Mech - 40 INR
Auto Wala - 50 INR
Motel - 300 INR
As the heading says it was a day filled with disasters. Strike, Broken key, Shoe bite and what not !!
Was very happy in the morning as got I got an early start today, went to the beach to get some early morning shots. Unlike the commercialized Baga,Calangute,Anjuna beach...Palolem is one of the most beautiful Goan beaches, a crescent like coastline of silvery sand, lined by coconut trees swaying in the breeze and hemmed scenically by a couple of steep, rocky cliffs. Making this perfect silvery arc shaped beach even lovelier are thehuts made of thatched palm for tourists. Though affording this type of accommodation is a costly affair for people like me :D :P
I started towards Karwar, as going further south was in the cards.30 Km from Palolem and spotted a long jam ahead. I suspected it to be an accident, but to my surprise it was something else. Bunch of peoples were standing on the road and doing some skit. What the heck,why can't they book some auditorium for it. They are doing right in the middle of one of the busiest National Highway 'NH17'. I waited for a while and spotted some bike fellas passing by from the side. I also moved slowly to cross the crowd and suddenly I was stopped. They nodded with negative reaction and said -
You cannot go ahead...It’s a strike today !!
I asked 'Then why you are allowing these peoples ?'
They are one of US.
Not fair,Strike is not for them who are actually doing it and are part of it ??
I explained them, that I am on a ride and I need to go ON. Explained them for 10-15 mins in ENGLISH and suddenly everyone got angry, and started shouting on me in Goan ??..No it was not Marathi either. It was typical Konkani . Seeing them angry I backed out quietly and went back with the traffic jam crowd to be a spectator. I parked my bike and asked the guy standing next to me, boss what is this Strike all about ??
This strike is to save the Hindi and Marathi Language and stop English being a compulsory language in Schools and college. Now I understood why those people got angry on me. I think I just saved myself from getting beaten up :P :D
I waited for a while bugged the same guy with another question, when is this going to end. Irritated guy replied 'by 5 PM today'
No,No,No..This is not happening to me. Checked Eicher MAP to see if there is any alternate route to bypass this strike. But it ain't showed any such route. Let’s make our own way I say. Took a left from the sign board indicating to a place named Chiplem
I roamed for an hour but my luck didn't favoured me on this part. So I came back to where I started. Waiting was the only option. Waited patiently for three hours and the patient paid at last. The strike ended at around 11:30 and I started towards Karwar-Gokarna.And here starts the Karnataka Border
Pretty soon I made it to Karwar,another beautiful city situated at the shore of Arabian Sea. There is a famous quote said by Rabindranath Tagore on Karwar.
"The sea beach of Karwar is certainly a fit place in which to realize that beauty of nature is not a mirage of imagination, but reflects the joy of the infinite and thus draws us to lose ourselves into it."
OM Beach a very quiet and peaceful place, with breathtaking views. It is 3-4 Kms inside from the Gokarna Village and around 20-25 Kms inside from the NH17 (Goa - Mangalore Highway).This beach is in theshape of OM in script when viewed from top, hence the name 'OM Beach'
Next destination was Murudeshwara Temple. Which was another 80 Kms from Gokarna.Since it has been raining crazy from the day I started Pune,that’s why I had just stopped mentioning it again and again. Heavy-Heavy-Heavy rains, without any break. :(
Western Ghats on the side and Arabian Sea hanging around on the other side and Lord Shiva's statue standing tall admist, Yes I made it to Murudeshwara.A very famous pilgrimage in Southern part of India. I cannot express in words how divine is the look of the Lord Shiva's statue. Lord Shiva Statue which is 123 feet high erected in the Beach is the tallest Shiva Idol in the World.
With quick darshan,i moved towards Honnavar.Further plans were to move ahead on NH17 until it becomes dark. Stopped in a fuel station for fuel top up. Just when I was opening the tank lock, the only key I was carrying got broken.Oh Hell !!..Second disaster in a day.
I enquired about key makers in the town, but no luck at all. Everyone advised that I had to go till bhatkal for getting new keys done. So here is series of event which happened post to this disaster.
1) Went to a Mechanic and got the electricals changed, so that it can be started without key. Carried few extra wires in case the direct wire fell off.
2) Went to a welding shop to get the Key welded, if I can open the tank then my major problem will be solved. But the welded key didn't worked either.
3) Bhatkal was another 40 Kms,Reached Bhatkal at around 04 PM.Keymaker shop was bang on the highway. But he needed the Ignition switch loose, so that he can make the key in peace.
4) Searched in many Mech shops, who can open the Ignition Switch for me, but everyone refused. Some tried but they were unable to open it.
5) Finally got hold of a Yamaha Outlet, where they opened up the Ignition switch.Not to forget the Shop is open till 06:30 PM.
6) Picked an Auto rickshaw and went to the keymaker.The shop said computerized keymaking.I thought it will be quick.Infact it was very quick, it took 2:45 mins to get the key job done.
7) In between went to the Yamaha showroom as it was about to close at 06:30.Convinced one of the mech to stay over for my bike work. They pulled my bike outside the Service station and rest of them left for the day.
8) Collected the keys, went back to showroom.Rajiv the Mechanic fixed my bike and finally 4 hours of chase comes to an end.
While all this was going on I requested my fellow Xbhpian - Anant Bhatia (Antzbin) to send me a good route plan to reach Belur-Halebidu,covering places Kudremukh and Agumbe.And he did came up with a pretty good route plan.
"Head south till Maniapl/Uduppi.Stay the night if it's too dark..Aaage jungle lagega.Take the route Karkala,head towards kudremukh(Sringeri road)- Kalasa - Kottogehara -Belur "
Thanks for the route help Anant.It was already 08:30 PM and I was dead tired. I decided to stay over at Bhatkal.
And the shoe bite which surfaced himself in the nice cozy place,due to which i am unable to walk too much.Imagine when the boot is wet for whole day,and its rubbing against the wound full day :P .How painful it would be :) :D
Ride Hard, Ride safe
Cheers
Biru
No comments:
Post a Comment