Next destination was Cherrapunji which was just 55 Kms from where i was in Shillong.I was expecting Cherrapunji to be a city/town,but it is a region under which there are many small towns/Villages.The main town around which the rest of the region plies is Sohra.After visiting Cherrapuni,I was planning to visit Dawki..which is the India - Bangladesh border.But it all depended on how thing goes at Cherrapunji,as i wanted to do the trek to Double decker root bridge.
I followed NH40 towards Dawki for around 20-22 Kms and diverted towards Sohra at a Y junction.The road condition was not bad and i was completely enjoying the weather.

In a matter of few minutes i reached the Duwan sing syiem bridge and view point.View was tremendous having greenery stretched all around the V shaped valley.

It was bit cold,saw few tapris nearby and they were selling black tea.Had my share of cup and sat at the view point adoring the beauty of nature.

Next 20 Kms on the road and again a view point,now this view point was something special.Again a chai break and the Tapri owner detailed me about the importance & Significance of this view point.Most importantly Bangladesh was visible from this view point.There was waterfall few meters trek away.I parked my bike and requested tapri owner to keep and eye on the luggage.


Waterfall didn't had much water.but it was worth visiting.The pics below can give an idea and justify it.

I moved towards the Sohra town which was visible from the view point where i stopped for the waterfall and tea break.I reached Sohra town and thought of hunting for accommodation.Checked few places in the town but they were bit expensive and were not worth the price.Since entire day was remaining,I thought of little bit sight seeing and then search for accommodation.The sign boards by Meghalaya tourism were more than enough to find the tourist spots and must visit places which i wanted to explore.
First was the Nokhalikai Falls,quite ahead and far from the city.Secluded and situated in a peaceful place for the roamers and wanderers like us.There was an entry fee of 10 Bucks.Nokhalikai is claimed to be 04th tallest fall in the world and i give my approval and accreditation on that.Waterfall had a blue pool at the base surrounded by rocks.

Just when i was about to click photos of the waterfall,clouds started to surround it and the view became more enigmatic and beautiful.Meghalaya means 'Adobe of Cloud' and seeing these sights,one can easily conclude why it was named as Meghalaya.


There was a further trek of 2 kms to reach the other ends of the plateau and admire the long stretch plain views of Bangladesh.




I started back towards the main road which i left to visit this fall.I came back and continued ahead on the road to check out the Mawsmai Caves.Have visited tons of cave,this one was different.Can be classified as a Nature's miracles.This cave is approximately 250 m long cave with beautiful cave formations and narrow passages.



When i said narrow passages,I meant this

And finally a pic of me

Nohsngithiang falls were next,but coudn't see any of it because it was covered with clouds.I waited for a while but the clouds were in no mood of moving out.I continued ahead on the same road towards Bangladesh...hoping to see any border gate or something similar to that.But after 5-10 kms i bumped into another waterfall.

A beautiful flower nearby

Kynrem Waterwall

The local people around,advised me to not to go ahead as there is army check posts ahead...and they dont allow to go ahead.Proper border point for tourists is Dawki.So i just saw the the Bangladesh and their land from the top and the view points ahead.It seemed very very close from there.
The plains you see in the pic is Bangladesh



Enough of sight seeing for me today,I returned to Cherra town where i made a friend who opened a Hotel few days ago.He charged 200 INR for the room per night and i was his first customer.
Cheers
Biru
I followed NH40 towards Dawki for around 20-22 Kms and diverted towards Sohra at a Y junction.The road condition was not bad and i was completely enjoying the weather.
In a matter of few minutes i reached the Duwan sing syiem bridge and view point.View was tremendous having greenery stretched all around the V shaped valley.
It was bit cold,saw few tapris nearby and they were selling black tea.Had my share of cup and sat at the view point adoring the beauty of nature.
Next 20 Kms on the road and again a view point,now this view point was something special.Again a chai break and the Tapri owner detailed me about the importance & Significance of this view point.Most importantly Bangladesh was visible from this view point.There was waterfall few meters trek away.I parked my bike and requested tapri owner to keep and eye on the luggage.
Waterfall didn't had much water.but it was worth visiting.The pics below can give an idea and justify it.
I moved towards the Sohra town which was visible from the view point where i stopped for the waterfall and tea break.I reached Sohra town and thought of hunting for accommodation.Checked few places in the town but they were bit expensive and were not worth the price.Since entire day was remaining,I thought of little bit sight seeing and then search for accommodation.The sign boards by Meghalaya tourism were more than enough to find the tourist spots and must visit places which i wanted to explore.
First was the Nokhalikai Falls,quite ahead and far from the city.Secluded and situated in a peaceful place for the roamers and wanderers like us.There was an entry fee of 10 Bucks.Nokhalikai is claimed to be 04th tallest fall in the world and i give my approval and accreditation on that.Waterfall had a blue pool at the base surrounded by rocks.
Just when i was about to click photos of the waterfall,clouds started to surround it and the view became more enigmatic and beautiful.Meghalaya means 'Adobe of Cloud' and seeing these sights,one can easily conclude why it was named as Meghalaya.
There was a further trek of 2 kms to reach the other ends of the plateau and admire the long stretch plain views of Bangladesh.
I started back towards the main road which i left to visit this fall.I came back and continued ahead on the road to check out the Mawsmai Caves.Have visited tons of cave,this one was different.Can be classified as a Nature's miracles.This cave is approximately 250 m long cave with beautiful cave formations and narrow passages.
When i said narrow passages,I meant this
And finally a pic of me
Nohsngithiang falls were next,but coudn't see any of it because it was covered with clouds.I waited for a while but the clouds were in no mood of moving out.I continued ahead on the same road towards Bangladesh...hoping to see any border gate or something similar to that.But after 5-10 kms i bumped into another waterfall.
A beautiful flower nearby
Kynrem Waterwall
The local people around,advised me to not to go ahead as there is army check posts ahead...and they dont allow to go ahead.Proper border point for tourists is Dawki.So i just saw the the Bangladesh and their land from the top and the view points ahead.It seemed very very close from there.
The plains you see in the pic is Bangladesh
Enough of sight seeing for me today,I returned to Cherra town where i made a friend who opened a Hotel few days ago.He charged 200 INR for the room per night and i was his first customer.
Cheers
Biru
On this post I don't envy you. I have seen them all :)
ReplyDeleteThats Great Kusum,Have you been to Dawki ?? India - Bangladesh border.I missed it due to lack of time.I did went for the trek to Double decker root bride on the other.It was tiring but totally worth it.
DeleteHi,
ReplyDeletecan you give me the phone number of your friend in cherra, so that i can book it over phone. i am going on 30th Septemebr.
sourbh