Sunday, September 30, 2012

05 Days On The Road - Melbourne To Sydney Coastal Run - Day 1


Day 1 - Melbourne - Sale - Lakes Entrance - Orbost - Mallacoota


It was the late start to the ride and weather was bit spooky but the rain was still holding up..just to spare me from its wrath i guess.I set my GPS to take me out from the city and put me on the M1/Princess Highway.For my 05 days journey i was carrying a tent along with a sleeping bag as i planned to camp on the way if i get any good and safe camping place.


Here is the map which i followed for this day 



The Spooky weather and the awesome highway


The initial run was bit boring,Just the plain highway with a speed limit of 110.So i was just sitting on the saddle and hitting the throttle and following the straight highway.I was cruising on 100 until i spotted a maze of yellow colored Mustard plantation.It took my attention and i pulled over for a photo break.








Stopping on the AUS highways is bit tricky,You cannot stop in the left lane until it is a Emergency lane 


I crossed Warragul..Sale and Bairnsdale.Now the interesting journey was about to start as we hit the coastal route.A beautiful river on the way.



I reached the first coastal town of my journey - Lakes Entrance.Lakes Entrance comes in the Shire of East Gippsland area of Australia.


I stopped at a roadside view point to capture some shots.






I rode ahead of the view point and stopped in the city for Brunch.Meanwhile i scanned in the GPS for the next place i am visiting.Lake Tyres and Lake Tyres beach looked interesting.I continued on the princess highway for few kms and took the diversion on the right hand side for Lake Tyres.Good thing about Australia is,they had put multiple sign boards on the way..so that no tourist can miss the place and turn they want to go into.I don't want to rant about the sign boards in our country..because govt did put all these sign boards in place..but local public spoils them and break them down and becomes Raju Guide to earn money  





Lake Tyres beach is around 3-4 Kms inside from the main highway.Stopped in between at a random view point which did some 'XYZ lake'..but when i reached there i saw a seashore !!!






Reached Lake Tyres Beach..It was nice,clean and peaceful with steady tides.Ideal place for spending holidays.If an Aussie had said that it would have been 'Ideal place for spending holidays and fishing' .I walked around the beach and backwaters for a while and came back.Loved every bit of it.Hats off to the government and local public who has managed and preserved the beauty of the place very well.





Lake Tyres








My badass baby 



I came back to the Princess Highway and started towards Orbost.Till now i haven't planned for the night stay.The only plan i had is to ride as much as i can..and once it goes dark..settle down in the next city..Maybe do camping or jump in a hotel.I reached Orbost around 04:30 PM and pulled over for a Coffee.Mc D is there in almost every town here..Gud for quick coffee,breakfast and lunch if you are running low on money and you are a non-vegetarian 


Just ahead of Orbost,stopped at a LookOut for a photo break.






Pretty soon it started to get dark and very cold.Not because of the sun..Blame it to the forest area i was passing.





And yeah after 100 Kms from Orbost..it started to get dark in real.The next town in the map was Genoa..But Mallacoota looked much more interesting..which was around 25 kms inside from the main highway .So i left the meain highway and reached Mallacoota in the matter of 20 mins and started hunting for accommodation/Camping place.I did find one camping place near by the backwaters.Well there were plenty of caravans and tents pitched up there..so it wasn't that hard to identify that it was camping place.I took out my tent and pitched it up.Settled everything and went to the town area for a bottle of wine.As it was very very cold.


Gulped the entire bottle and went for sleep.Tried sleeping for an hour or so..But was not able to sleep because of the cold,So i packed everything back and went to the town centre for hotel.Got a caravan stay for the night for 45 $.Had an awesome day today,Munched around 540 kms..saw some very beautiful lakes,Beaches and forest roads.


Took 3-4 quilts and retired for the day 


Cheers
Biru

1 comment:

  1. 100 kmph must be nice to ride a motorcycle huh? Very true about sign boards. And, by experience I can tell you ... camping is not an easy job unless you are well equipped.

    ReplyDelete