Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 2 - 4000 Kms - 06 Days - At Southern Tip Of India..Pune 2 Kanyakumari

Day 2 - Thiruvannamalai-Punducherry-Nagapattinam-Thondi

Routemap



Went to the Arunachaleshwar temple in the morning.The temple at Tiruvannamalai is one of the biggest and grandest temples in South India. Stately towers, high rampart walls, broad quadrangles, spacious gateways, large mantapams and fine tanks. The temple was very rich in architectural and sculptural beauty.There is a hill on the one side of the town where one can trek and enjoy the beautiful view of the town.But this was not my cup of tea :P




After the darshan i started for Tindivanam-Pondicherry.Road was good and weather was mild,perfect conditions for riding 



Stopped at the Gingee fort for some clicks.One of the very few forts in the state which posses unique architectural feat.On the one side we had the Main Fort and on the other hand we had Rani Mahal.These forts were build up on barren volcanic rocks... 









Reached Tindivanam,roads became excellent from here.Look for yourself 



Pondicherry was another 70 Kms from Tindivanam.Tamil Nadu was completely Dry,no sign of monsoon.Extremely hot weather,I was sweating like anything.Most of the credit goes to my jacket as well,I must say this Alpinestar TRC1 is of no use.Quite hot in this type of condition,not of much use in cold and forget about rains,it isnt waterproof from any angle.My Cramster Pulse was better,atleast it used to save from the Cold 

I reached Pondicherry and went straight to the beach,I must admit..whatever we have heard about the neatness and cleanliness of the city is quite true.





Pondicherry is Union territory and one thing which i love very much about such cities is Cheap Booze .Daman being my favorite,I was expecting something similar in here but I was wrong.Unlike Daman prices were quite high 

I spend some time on the beach and started towards Rameshwaram.








Meanwhile i called Ananth to guide me about any place of interest which i can see on my way to Rameshwaram.He told me about a lake and Mangrove forest at Pichavaram.So here we go,our next stop was Pichavaram.

TN backwaters 



Pichavaram was another 75 Kms from there,To reach Pichavaram you have to take a diversion on the left hand side from East Coast road.Another 06 Kms and i made it to the Eco Village Pichavaram.I went straight to the boat club,for Mangrove forest ride.I parked my bike and went to the Watch tower to have a view of the forest,It looked interesting from the top.Entry fees to the watch tower was 10 Rs 



I went to the booking counter to check the prices for boating.800 Rs for Motorboat and 300 Rs for Driver i guess (tip  ),i do not remember the price for rowing boat.Motorboat can accommodate 08 peoples so 100 per person for 01 Hour ride.Damn it was cheap.Now the main struggle was to find some members with whom i can get adjusted.And the struggle did not lasted long and i found my boatmates 

So let the ride begin.Initially it wasn't much interesting and alluring.But later on when we entered the Forest and when he took us to the narrow lanes of the forest i was very much overwhelmed to see such beautiful place.
Pichavaram is India's on of the largest mangrove forest.The mangrove forest seems like floating trees in the middle of estuary.

The only pic of mine in the complete ride..!!













I did spent around 01 hour in boat riding and it was time to start for my next destination .
Those beautiful kids i met on the ride


A Shaadi in progress.But where is the Groom !!


After leaving from Pichavaram i moved towards Nagapattinam.I remeber Ananth telling me about the Dutch fort nearby Nagapattinam.100 km of run and i reached Nagapattinam

This fort is master piece of Danish architectural design and style.Constructed in 17th century at Tranquebar, located nearby Nagapattinam. It was constructed in 1620 and still stands as a marvelous specimen of Danish architecture.
But my bad luck it was National Holiday on 01 Sep .Fort was closed.





I was planning to reach Point Calimere by the evening and stay there for the night,The only thing i was not sure about from where i have to leave the main road.Ananth kept me telling the name of a place from where i have to take a diversion.I tried repeating and remembering the name many time but i just kept forgetting it  and the fact is i still dont know from where i should have taken diversion.

Ganpati Sthaapan in Progress..bang on the ECR 



So in search of the correct route i actually ended by taking the incorrect route which landed me inside Velankanni town.The place,Streets,Roads were very very crowdy.Like some festival was going on.And i was right,I just bumped into a place which is a Pilgrim Place for Christians.When i spoke to the locals i came to know that every year a festival is held at Velankanni from 29 August to 08 th September to celebrate the birthday of Mother Mary - Mother of Jesus christ.



Met few peoples from Pune and Mumbai and they were quite surprised that i came this far from Pune and that too solo .We exchanged few group pics and said good bye with a promise to add each other in facebook. :P.He did find me in the facebook though 

I quickly have a look at the beautiful place and started for Point Calimere.But somehow i missed the diversion and went ahead.Soon it became dark and i stopped for a refreshment break.I called Ananth for the best suitable place for the night stay.He adviced to stay at THONDI.

Yummy Dinner 


And tea for pack up


I reached Thondi around 10:00 PM.Was feeling quite tired,so quickly went to bed.Good Night fellas 

Cheers
Biru

No comments:

Post a Comment